Saturday, October 27, 2007

When It's Time to Change the Channel.

When the ways of the world get you down, it's time to turn off the computer, lose the remote control and cancel your subscription to whatever is bringing you bad news. Truth is, we're only going to get more of what we concentrate on. I'm not making this stuff up. You get what you expect. And when the fear mongers get to us, we sometimes forget we have the power to focus on the good, and to change things.

Not to denigrate television since it's a huge part of my business, but the other night I found I had been watching way too much because I was feeling way too down, after turning it off. Was it the California fires that got me so locked in to the talk shows and the bad news which I normally avoid like the plague? My family in LA is out of harm's way. Why was I not counting my blessings instead of obsessing?

It's the nature of the beast. And by the beast, I mean that part of me that needs to calm down, breathe, and think bright thoughts, as my Roxy shirt says. Global warming, war, immigration, and human rights won't be solved by watching more talk shows or BraveNewFilms.org. However, it would help to use less electricity, waste fewer trees, plant a garden, and take a bike ride to the beach every now and then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne

Very good blog! You can review mine as well I also have article's written on www.ere.net or you can google my name as well and they will show up.

Robyn said...

Aloha!

It is true that in the midst of technology, humans now face a struggling battle against the insidious onslaught of not only old media but new media as well.

Therefore we should take a stand and maybe have a no-TV day.

I learned a lot about not missing television while I was serving in the Army. It is not easy but it is achievable.

Freedom lies in the ability to control and not be controlled.

Liberty said...

Sound observations and advice, Anne. In addition to television and media, it's just easy to get caught up with school and/or work and to forget to appreciate the little things in life. We should slow our pace every now and then and make time to do the simple things we enjoy, like the activities you listed at the end. Slow down and take the time to reflect on the things we are thankful for and the things we can improve upon... not on the things we have no control over.